You are thinking about picking up netball. There is no reason in the world why you should not play this sport. Netball helps you stay in good physical shape and provides you the opportunity to meet new people. What is more, there is a league for all players, from beginners to advanced one. Since you do not have ball handling skills, you should start with social netball games in London. If you are genuinely interested in tossing the ball around a netball on court, you need to invest in the right gear and equipment. The question now is what you need for this sport. When playing netball, you will need the following:
Obviously, you cannot play netball if you do not have adequate clothing. The setting is a competitive one and the members of teams have to be dressed in sportswear. Uniforms are important because they allow the player to move freely and help distinguish teams from a visual standpoint. If you want your netball game to run smoothly, you need to get proper player attire. These are the pieces of clothing that you will have to buy:
- Netball bib – The bib indicates your position, being clearly highlighted with a letter. It will remain on your back throughout the match and during break times. The bib is essential whether you are training or playing netball with your friends.
- Short or skirt – Shorts as well as skirts improve freedom of movement, which is paramount when tossing the ball on a netball court. If you play the sport with your friends, make sure to adopt matching attire.
- Top – Select a training top that matches your style of playing. The piece of clothing should be at the same time breathable and designed for fluid movement.
- Athlete’s shoes – You cannot wear just any shoes on the court. Nothing other than netball shoes will do. These athlete’s footwear are made from durable rubber that provides you a better grip on the netball court and
- Socks – as long as you wear sock, you will not get painful blisters. You can even wear 2 pairs of socks.
Choosing a good netball ball is a pretty straightforward process, as long as you shop from a quality provider. The first thing you need to do is choose the ball size. It is recommendable to choose a netball ball that is size 5, meaning that the circumference measures somewhere between 27.2 inches and 28 inches. In the second place, pay close attention to the weight. The wall should not weigh more than 16 ounces. Last, but not least, invest in a ball that is made from leather or rubber. These are the most appropriate materials.
A great number of netball players choose to wear support gear, like knee and ankle guards. The reason why they wear this kind of equipment is that they want to prevent injuries. You too should buy gear for lower-body and upper-body protection. Even if you are not actually competing, you can still get hurt.
It is a good idea to invest in the abovementioned equipment and gear. If you sign up for a netball league, you might not have to because you are ensured all the equipment you need. All you have to do is show up.